The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, has just released the statement below to announce modalities for the conferment of national honours on late multibillionaire businessman cum politician, Moshood Abiola; late prominent lawyer, Gani Fawehinmi and politician, Babagana Kingibe.
Read full statement below.
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HONOURS JUNE 12 PRO-DEMOCRACY HEROES
Following the historic designation of June 12 as DEMOCRACY DAY and NATIONAL HOLIDAY, Muhammadu Buhari, President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, will confer Post-Humous national honours on Chief M.K.O. Abiola as Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR), Chief Gani Fawehinmi as the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON). He will also decorate Ambassador Babagana Kingibe with the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON), at an investiture scheduled to take place as follows:-
DATE: Tuesday, June 12 2018
VENUE: Conference Hall, State House, Aso Rock Villa, Abuja
TIME: 10.00 am
- Accordingly, Ambassador Babagana Kingibe , the family of the late Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola and that of Chief Gani Fawehinmi , along with the underlisted key players of June 12 struggle are cordially invited:
- Members of the National Executive Committee of the SDP including States Chairmen and Secretaries at the time of June 12, 1993
- Governors elected under SDP platform
- Former Senate Presidents – Iyorchia Ayu and Ameh Ebute and Speaker Agunwa Anekwe along with Principal Officers of the National Assembly elected under SDP platform
- Speakers of the States Assembly elected under SDP platform
- All Chairmen of the States Traditional Councils from the six South-Western States